WICHITA STATE (13-17, 5-12) at TULANE (13-16, 4-13) Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WICHITA STATE (13-17, 5-12) at TULANE (13-16, 4-13) Pregame Discussion

WICHITA STATE (13-17, 5-12) at TULANE (13-16, 4-13)
    Friday, March 8 | 8:00 p.m. CT
    New Orleans, La. | Avron B. Fogelman Arena

TV: ESPN2 with John Schriffen & Perry Clark
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM with Mike Kennedy & Bob Hull

Shockers’ 3-point outburst is unsustainable, but there is a ‘significant’ takeaway

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shockers-...hssrp_catchall

Wichita State’s 14-of-22 barrage from deep against Rice isn’t sustainable and Beverly isn’t likely to repeat a 3-for-3 showing — he had three 3s in total since Dec. 16 before the outburst.

But if the confidence gained from the performance leads to Beverly making defenses pay for leaving him unattended more consistently, Mills believes it would be a “significant” development for the Shockers.

But because Beverly has struggled converting 3s this season, defenses have routinely sagged off of him or left him entirely when he is on the perimeter without the ball. He is far from the only WSU player who receives this treatment, as defenses commonly leave fellow guards Xavier Bell (31% 3-point shooter) and Bijan Cortes (23% 3-point shooter).

The Shockers have struggled offensively this season largely because they play with very little spacing on the court. Because teams aren’t afraid to give up kick-out 3s to WSU guards not named Colby Rogers, the help defense swarms to the ball, which makes paint shots difficult and leads to turnovers driving into well-manned gaps.

As the season has progressed, Beverly has found other ways than shooting 3s to capitalize on the space afforded to him by defenses who chose to leave him.

If he’s in the weak-side corner and his man leaves to stand underneath the basket, Beverly has had success timing a baseline cut to the basket. If he’s one pass away on the wing, Beverly has begun to implement a “Stampede” catch — a running start toward the basket before he catches it, which allows him to beat the recovering defender to the paint.

This season didn’t began with many expectations for WSU in its first year under Mills, but the team certainly didn’t expect to be fighting until the final weekend of the season to avoid the cellar of the
    conference.

WSU has its abysmal record in close games to point to, as the eight of the 12 AAC losses have come in two-possession games in the final five minutes of regulation.

“Talent determines your floor and character determines your ceiling,” Mills said. “There’s a certain level of talent you have to have to achieve something, but character determines your ceiling and for the most part we understood we were on par. But winning is in the details. Everybody is going to play basketball, but not everybody is going to play winning basketball. I think these guys have embraced and understood the things that need to get done in order to allow that to happen.”

The Shockers need a win on Friday to clinch the No. 9 or No. 10 seed (depending on other results) in the American Athletic Conference tournament in Fort Worth. It’s crucial to avoid a bottom-four finish in the standings, which would require two play-in wins just to reach the quarterfinals and all but eliminates a chance of a deep run.

84 to 67 Shockers
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

No more predictions. I'm just ready for this season to be done and I can just focus on softball.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I am a glutton for punishment and always hopeful. There isn't a conference team we can't beat including Memphis. Very good chance of winning game #1 but gets dicey but not impossible thereafter. Maybe team is getting confident enough to start winning the close ones. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          I am a glutton for punishment and always hopeful. There isn't a conference team we can't beat including Memphis. Very good chance of winning game #1 but gets dicey but not impossible thereafter. Maybe team is getting confident enough to start winning the close ones. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.
          I'm with you 100%

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            If we don't beat Tulane Friday then the fat lady will be warming up the vocal cords Even if we beat Tulane, it will be extremely difficult to win 4 games in 4 days especially if you have to play teams that only have to play 3 in 3 days to win the AAC Tournament. Winning 5 games in 5 days including against teams that have played 2 fewer games seems close to impossible. Have to stay out of the bottom 4.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

If we don't beat Tulane Friday then the fat lady will be warming up the vocal cords Even if we beat Tulane, it will be extremely difficult to win 4 games in 4 days especially if you have to play teams that only have to play 3 in 3 days to win the AAC Tournament. Winning 5 games in 5 days including against teams that have played 2 fewer games seems close to impossible. Have to stay out of the bottom 4.
              Don't worry, the Shox have the most powerful weapon in the AAC!
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Don't worry, the Shox have the most powerful weapon in the AAC!
                I can assure you I am not worried. But my suggestion to the Shocks is to forego showering and washing their socks and uniforms until the season comes to an end. Sometime the best defense is a good offense.

Comment

Here's the new Battle of New Orleans regular Season deal. A win gives the Shockers a win streak of 3 and The Green Wave 8 losses in a row. Our overall record now is 7 wins and 4 losses against Tulane. Overall record at home for Tulane is 10-6. I'm not sure if it is Senior night for them Friday? The 3 players to watch for them are Kevin Cross, Collin Holloway and Jalen Forbes.

They beat Cal and Memphis and lost to N. Texas twice and a loss to Bradley, UAB, UTSA, all once.. A win will really help and that's no jazz. A loss would give many of us on here the blues. This will be a close one and many of you will recognize this score below. Let the good wins roll.

WSU . 66

Tulane 65
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Always the optimist:
                    Amber Grain: 74
                    Waves of: 62
                    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

RH: "WE CAN REST LATER" -- COLBY ROGERS UP EARLY TO WORK ON HIS GAME

Wichita State guard Colby Rogers wakes up most mornings by 6:20 to dress and make the two-minute drive to Koch Arena for an hour workout at 7 a.m.

On days when it is difficult to get out of bed, he looks at the three words written on notebook paper taped to his mirror in his bathroom.

Perception. Action. Will.

On Tuesday, Rogers comes out of tunnel, wearing a gray Shocker shirt and black shorts, to work with special assistant Xavier Holland, who oversees individual skill sessions. Three student assistants rebound, pass and set screens.

Rogers' success starts with his morning routine, one that didn't change during a recent slump.

"If you came in here at 7 a.m., you're going to see Colby Rogers," coach Paul Mills said. "I think what happens with a lot of players is that if I shoot well, I stop working out. If I shoot poorly, I come in an overdo it. That's not him. He'll continue to put in the work."

Those habits started in high school in New Jersey and guided by his uncle James Melvinhand. He got Rogers started on 6 a.m. workout when he attended Roselle Catholic High School in Roselle, N.J.

"He always would say, 'We can rest later,'" Rogers said. "He built that foundation of getting up and getting to the gym. I had to learn that I had to go to sleep earlier. It was some of the best things that ever happened to me, establishing that foundation, that routine, that discipline. That's what it takes to get to the professional level."

Holland met Rogers and gave him his choice of workout times. Unless it's game day or a morning practice, they are together at 7 a.m. with few exceptions.

"I never have to beg him at all," Holland said. "We started getting up shots, getting up more reps, more reps. As time went on, we started doing more off ball-screens. More reads. He wanted to add more. He wants to evolve."

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        No more predictions. I'm just ready for this season to be done and I can just focus on softball.
                        Do you have a gun to your head?

Comment

Why the low total predictions? I thought the over at 154.5 seemed ridiculously easy

Comment

For those of you in Pick 'Em, I got the last round of picks posted. Since the first game (our game) is tonight, be sure to make your picks.
                            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                              For those of you in Pick 'Em, I got the last round of picks posted. Since the first game (our game) is tonight, be sure to make your picks.
                              Ssshhhh! Quiet. That’s my only hope! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X